Sunday 19 July 2015

Love an author, leave a review.

I recently shared a picture on my author page and after a few comments and messages I decided that maybe I should write a blog.
So firstly let me show you the picture:



Some people have said that they wished all authors felt this way. Technically ALL others love reading nice reviews.
Personally I love all reviews, even the low star reviews. 
Let me explain:
All reviews can be very helpful as long as they are constructive. An author gets a high from high rating reviews, which is obvious. However, if you leave a low star review and you explain why you are giving this review then this can be really helpful to the author. Such as you would have given it a higher rating but there were spelling and grammar mistakes then an author needs to know. Trust me I have had these reviews and I have wanted to kiss each and every person who put this in their review because it made me go back over and revise it. 
There are also the low star reviews where there are things the reader didn't like something about characters, or the research was lacking, etc. Let the author know because maybe the author may want to do something about this in the future.
There are also those reviews where people just don't like the book and no matter what you do they still wouldn't. I get that. The way I see it is that there are people who hate Harry Potter, Twilight, Lord of the Rings, etc. But there are people who love them. The world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things, which is why there is such a diversity of books out there.
The reviews I don't like, and I am not the only one, are the ones that are just plain nasty. You know the ones I mean. You don't like a book? That is cool, but there is no need to bash the author and/or start cursing in your reviews. 
Sometimes I think that some readers forget that the authors are human and we all read reviews, even those who say they don't. Yes you don't know the author personally but there is an etiquette when it comes to leaving a review.
I have seen reviews that stated - this is a piece of crap. 
Okay and explanation would have been great to know why you thought that book was a piece of crap.
I have also seen ones where a reviewer said that the author should just quit writing. One even said that the author should just kill themselves to put everyone out of their misery. 
Tell what is the need for putting things like that?
Authors love their readers. I know I love mine, and this is why when we see a nice review it makes us so happy. It makes us realise that all our hard work is paying off.
Not only this, people do read reviews and can make a decision on buying a product based on a review. Yours could be that deciding review.



No comments:

Post a Comment